For some reason, the phrase "just yesterday" sparked some kind of strange awareness in me and I started writing. The following words are not of my own experience, but of what I imagine might happen to a person who experiences a personal crisis. I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, but, hey, whatever, right?
Just Yesterday
Just last week I cancelled lunch with some old friends that
I hadn't seen since college because I had so much work to catch up on
That I couldn't spare an hour to renew our relationships and I knew I'd have
Another chance the next time they were in the area.
Just this past weekend I didn't go to church because I wanted to sleep
A little bit longer instead of dressing up to go and worship God and I
Missed seeing people who would have greeted me with a smile and a handshake
Or a hug, because Sunday is my only chance to get extra rest.
Just yesterday I trudged distractedly down the street with a scowl on my face
Hurrying to work or school or an appointment or a meeting
With no thought towards the day except to be frustrated
That it was raining and I'd forgotten my umbrella.
Just last night I was too busy doing laundry or cooking dinner or
Watching television to pay attention to my children when they tried to
Talk to me and I missed seeing their smiles and hearing their stories and they were
Sleeping before I slowed down enough to listen.
Just this morning I was so busy cursing and yelling when I burned my mouth
Drinking coffee that was too hot and then dropping the mug so that it shattered
On the floor that I ignored my spouse's words of comfort and walked away angry
Bruising his heart more than my tongue.
Just today I was told that the doctors couldn't help me and they were simply
Counting the days, hours, minutes I had remaining and I
Realized that all of those little things I had thought were so annoying were
Moments I wished I could have back.
And tomorrow? Just tomorrow, please let it be an instant, a day, a year, a lifetime
Where I can laugh, love, cry, worship, run, jump, sing, APPRECIATE
And wake up grateful for the experience because, who knows when it will be forgotton as
Just yesterday?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment